Sunday, December 27, 2009

In the footsteps of Moses

On our last full day in Egypt we had the biggest challenge that we had all be gearing ourselves up for. The Ascension up Mount Sinai. There had been a lot of discussion about when the best time to do this was. The choices were in the evening to see the sunset or early in the morning for the sunrise. Can you tell from the following photo which we did?



There were pros and con to both - Evening meant coming down in the dark, a late dinner, no camels to rescue us if we were too tired to come down under our own steam but time to relax the next day before going to Nuweiba to catch a ferry. Morning meant bloody early, the chance of snow, climbing up in the dark, and a rush to get the ferry. I am sure that it will come as no surprise to you all that I favoured an evening trip and in the end this was the preferred option ( and no I did not have to bribe or turn into bossy teacher for that to happen..... no ones likes getting up at 3am!) Mount Sinai is a cruisey walk 2285m up hill...... not! But I was a good girl and climbed all the way to the top! Without the help of a camel. The last part that was approx 900 steps ( and not nice, evenly spaced western step either I must say) was the hardest. But I was not the last member of our group to make it to the time -- some did not even make to the steps! I did even manage to 'keep up' with the lovely teenaged Georgie, although I suspect that at the end she was going slow for my benefit. Her father was a bloody goat (aged 62!!!!) and he make getting up there seems easy. But don't be fooled - it was very hard and I was very proud to have made it to the top with plenty of time to relax (and eat chocolate) before the sun went down. Horus the Kiwi had it very easy, being carried all the way!




I think we all slept very soundly that night! And that was probably the coldest day in Egypt as well (yes it does get cold in Egypt!) I had to use my lovely sleeping bag to keep warm that night and Ayman, our poor tour guide, spent the whole time shivering! And this man wants to go to Antartica.... I don't think he would even cope with a winter in NZ let alone Antartica!

The main event for the next day was the ferry trip from Nuweiba to Aqaba, Jordan's only sea access. And as I was learning about Egypt, transport is 'interesting'. We had to be at the port at least 2hours before the ship 'sailed' but nothing in Egypt runs to time and we could only find out on the day which of the two crossing we would do. Once at the port there would be very little for us to do while we waited. The whole group was not really looking forward to this experience but needs must and in the end it was actually not that bad. We all hung out together and many of us sharpened our card playing skills. I think in the end the ferry was only one hour late so that is practically on time by Egyptian standards. The ride over was fine - the only interesting moment was when all the 'tourist' were gathered up near the end of the trip and taken to the back of the boat and watched over by a big group of official looking people and John aka Ramses II let them all know as we where leaving that I was trouble! We were meant by a Peregrine person (the travel company) who took care of the whole Visa thing - best thing about being in a tour group! And we all cheered when our Tour bus turned up on time. I think our driver, Jihad, thought we were all a little crazy!
The next day we had the morning free to wander around on our own. So a group of us decided to check out the old castle and port. We were skillfully led by Paul (a English man pretending to be Australian - he has told me that he wants a mention on my blog as the cute English guy - so I have done it!), even though his girlfriend had strong doubts! The castle was mostly in ruins but it was quite fun to climb around on it.



At the port you really realise that you are at the pointy end of a very sharp stick with the borders between Egypt, Israel and Jordan being so close together.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Naamah we are back in Hams after 11 days out around the family - with a three night break at the Auckland Langham (5 star luxury!)Temp 25 degrees here on New Year's Day - really summer. Welcome to the Year of the Tiger I am so impressed by your gorgeous photos - the hot air ballooning over the Valley of Kings - wow! - and climbing Mount Sinai all the way. And you had a bus driver named Jihad! Is there no end to your risk-taking? You have convinced me that a group tour to Egypt is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete